Friday, January 7, 2011

Back to Baby Quilting!

Hi Everyone,

This week, I am playing a little bit of catch-up with some UFO's -- that is, Un-Finished Objects.

My plan is to work on some baby quilts, some for me to sell and some for the ministry of Blue Denim Ministries. I am so glad to be working on these projects; at first it was only to make better space available in my work area, but I am now getting re-energized for these projects that have waiting a while for completion.

Today, I am showing the first two that I have made for upcoming shows in 2011. They are made with an alphabet that is completely embroidered, using my Bernina 630 sewing computer. Once squares were completed, lattice and cornerstones were cut, using the strip cut method. Once laid out, they were sewn together "Eleanor Burns" style, and then borders were attached.


This week, the job needed finishing by bringing the backing, batting and front together into a crib size quilts. You can see the progression of this through the pictures.

Tools needed included Quilt Basting Spray, curved pins and a Kwik Klip, also shown in the pictures.


After the pinning was complete, the quilts were done bu the "Stitch in the Ditch" method-- that is to say, sew a topstitch along the seams so it is nearly invisible but holds all three layers together.
Once that is done, trim the excess batting and leave about 1 inch of backing fabric all the way around, to use to make a hem to finish the quilts off.

Voila!

Have a great week,

Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment