Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mittens!

This will be a quick posting because I mentioned two posts ago that I would say something about mittens. I tried making a set for my daughter for Christmas, and I had some fun doing that, although my technique needs improving!

I am using "Magic Loop" for the construction. It can be done with one or two circular needles, and it's important that you use a 40 inch cord. In this case, I am using one circular needle. I like this method because it avoids the use of DPNs (Double pointed needles). You can find a number of wonderful intructional videos on YouTube if you want to learn this method of circular knitting. I like the Knitting Diva, myself.

I highly recommend it! If you are a new knitter, you will catch on very quickly. If you are a seasoned DPN knitter, it will be a bit more of a challenge, but you can do it, and I think you'll very quickly pack away all those DPNs, never to see the light of day again!

I think for me, the learning curve in mitten construction is the thumb gussett, which I admit I struggled with getting just right. I plan to parctice more, though, so in the future, I'll post what I continue to learn.
The important thing is not to give up because the work seems intimidating-- it's only yarn!! At least, that's what I keep telling myself! LOL! Have fun with it, and keep on learning new things!
Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment